July 2, 2011

culture all over!

Today we went to a wedding.  It was one of the coolest experiences ever.  I was wary, I always am, of going to these kind of fancy things.  I spent pretty much every day since we got the invitation trying to figure out what to wear.  I finally found the right outfit...a lovely purple cardigan sweater over a cream colored dress that has all these beautiful flowers on it.  I added navy blue leggings because it was cold and I wanted to cover the majority of my leg tattoos.

So we got to this church, which is not old at all but was built to look old and fit in...which is nice.  It was built in 1959.  My guess, though I have no info to back this up, is that it most likely was built to replace something that was destroyed during WWII.  This was the time frame in which that was done.  At any rate.

The name of the church was St. Hedwig's.  I know this is blasphemy sort of...but...I could not help but think of Harry Potter and his snowy owl.

The invitation was in French, English and German.  So that was a hint that we were in for a very culture rich experience.  Danny told me that the Groom is from Africa, we still aren't actually sure where the Bride originates from.  There were guests from all over though.  It was seriously so cool to be able to see so many different cultures and people coexisting so beautifully.  It was awesome.  I had a really good time just sitting back and watching.  I guess it was the Sociology Major in me.  I liked watching the African aspect the most...I've been able to watch Europeans so much while we've been here...and the French aspect of things was tied in with the African...so it was something new for me.  At the end of the traditional ceremony there was some...I don't know what to call it.  Tribal...yelling? Almost like Native American sounds you'd see on a documentary or old West show.  There was also an old style broom in the courtyard and they Bride and Groom jumped over it as part of a ritual.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom  So cool.  I told Danny he needs to find out where they are from in the least obtrusive way possible so that I can find out more about their heritages...this stuff seriously interests me.

It was all very cool.  I'm sure I'll go to other beautiful weddings.  And I'm sure that I'll attend other fun weddings, more lovely and beautiful weddings.  But I'm not sure anything can top 3 languages and all the culture in one place.

By all means, single friends, please try!! I will show up and check it out for sure.

I guess I should end this and watch the rest of my weird show (Fringe)...hope everyone has a lovely evening!!

Word.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really neat. And I'm pretty sure St Hedwig, is fully understanding of the HP reference...LOL

    ReplyDelete