January 20, 2011

health(ier)y

I am trying to eat a bit more on the healthy side.  I'm not being fanatical about it because...well I have before and I just don't have that kind of time right now.  I'm starting slow.  Making small changes.  It really seems like when I go all dramatic and change everything all at once it not only fails miserably but I feel a little craz(ier)y.  So right now I'm still making dinner however I want.  But breakfast and lunch are changing.  Typically I only eat one, but today I decided I'd have toast for breakfast since I was up at 8am.  For lunch it was pita with hummus and bell peppers with ranch I made myself using a seasoning packet and skim milk, I substituted Greek yogurt for the cup of mayo though.  Dinner was pasta salad and Veg burgers on whole wheat buns.  So it was small tweaks here and there.  For desert tonight we had apples with caramel dip...one day I will forgo the caramel dip but the serving size is 2Tbsp per apple and we averaged 1Tbsp...so I guess that's better.  I had grapes too.  Cause they looked good.  And they're grapes, not crepes.  I really have to start taking this heart health stuff more seriously.  I started riding my exercise bike last week, 25mins a day is my max so far but better than nothing I guess.  I still drink a pot of coffee a day but we cut back from 2-3 diet Cokes a day to 1.  The rest is water with Real Lemon or Lime.  I know I need to quit smoking.  I fully understand how much of an impact that would have on everything.  But lets be real.  Right now, it's not going to happen.  I have my limits.  If I wanted to get on some serious daily anxiety meds (instead of the "as needed" I have now) maybe.  But I sat myself down and I said, "Self, let's be realistic.  What's more important.  Diet and exercise or smoking." I could not answer myself.  But I did determine that if I quit smoking and that's all, I will probably gain wait and increase negative eating habits (need hand to mouth motion? reach for a Cheeto) which has counterproductive issues, obviously.  As it is, I have cut back to anywhere between 1/2 to 3/4 pack a day.  That's much less than it used to be.  I got up to 1 1/2 at one point.  1 a day is bad.  But it's still an improvement that doesn't cause added stress.  So I guess I'm trying to move in the right direction.  I'm pretty convinced I'm going to have a heart attack.  We'll see what my blood pressure is tomorrow.  I'm hoping lowwwwwww.  It's possible!

It's 2am.  I'm going to stop typing about food and take all my multitudes of vitamins and go to sleep, or at least go lay down.  I'm not finding that regular blogging is helping my writers block but I am determined to push through it!!

Word.

1 comment:

  1. The biggest changes we have made, that for the most part my family does NOT notice, it 2% milk cheese, lower sodium ramen, more veggies, less meat, ground turkey instead of ground beef in my whole wheat hamburger helper lol, trying at least one new food a month (during summer, its more due to farmers markets and such). Cakes made with applesauce instead of oil. Turkey bacon. Half white/half wheat pasta. Boca Spicy Chick'n patties that the Pete comm no longer sells =( My fave summer dinner: nectarine, grapes and watermelon, hard boiled eggs, and wheat rolls. Yum.

    Things they don't like: asparagus (I liked, no one else did). ground turkey in sloppy joes is NOT ok. like not even a little. Ew. just ew. Papaya. Brownies made with applesauce instead of oil. Broccoli. Whole wheat pasta.

    We try. some days are lazier than others. But as long as you are making an effort you'll be successful =0)

    ReplyDelete