January 25, 2011

A Little History

We went to Vilseck on Saturday to check out some furniture.  Of course because it was the luck of Rachel, it was not to be.  They were closed for inventory (yes, on a Saturday).  Danny told me that the day I got my license they drove around a lot and happened to see a cemetery, right there on post.  So we decided to go check it out.  I love cemeteries, the older the better.  There is potential for some VERY old cemeteries in a land that has documented occupants before the 600's!

I got quite a few pictures.  It wasn't as old as I had hoped, 1930's was the earliest dates I saw but several didn't have dates.  Tragically (in my opinion) around here it seems that headstones get replaced.  It is a bummer cause I like the old ones...more character than these shiny black things.  But I digress.

So, it seems that long ago before Vilseck was a post the land (and that surrounding all of the Rose Barracks and Graf) were several small towns.  In the 1937-38 time frame the land was taken to house the German Army.  This caused the evacuation of the towns, Langenbruck was one of them.  In 1945 Vilseck was surrendered to the United States.  Post war, Vilseck the town integrated 5 villages into one community.  Vilseck the post, however, maintained some of the old Langenbruck relics.  The cemetery is the one we have found, I have determined if there is more to find or not yet.

I am sure you can find most of this at the Museum in Graf or by Wikipedia (which is where I got a good portion of my info) but I just wanted to give the basic run down of the area.  I feel like doing a little historical research of the places I visit is the best way to go, it's also a good learning experience for Taylor.  I'm not sure how much of it she actually pays attention to but it's a good base anyways.  (By the way, I live in a hamlet.  How cool is that?)

So here are my pictures...there aren't a ton, it's a small area.














No comments:

Post a Comment